Saturday, April 21, 2007

Magnificat

In the Gospel According to St Luke Mary, Mary says a prayer shortly after seeing her cousing Elizabeth. It is called the Magnificat. It is a beatiful prayer that Mary says about being the Mother of the Savior. However, since my seminary days I have found it to be a beautiful prayer when I stop to reflect on the words. I put the whole Magnificat just below and beneath it I have commented on some of my favorite parts ( although all of it is certainly worth reflection and meditation).

The Magnificat:
My soul magnifies the Lord,
And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden,
For behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name. And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm:
He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
and exalted those of low degree.
He has filled the hungry with good things;
and the rich He has sent empty away.
He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy;
As He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to His posterity forever.

Scripture text: Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition (Taken from the Women for Faith and Family website)

"My soul magnifies the Lord"- Mary's words then and now ring true as her prayers and her example draw so many to the Lord. More than that it is a prayer that all of us could say. May all of us magnify the Lord to others by our prayers and example.
"And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior"- All of us like Mary should of course rejoice in Love and His pursuit of us and His overwhelming desire for our salvation
"For behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed."- She has a prominent role in Salvation History and every generation since the birth of her blessed Son has acknowledged that. She is after all the one chosen by God to be the means of His Incarnation. That Incarnation in turn lead to the salvific sacrifice of the cross, the Eucharist and the glory and hope of the Resurrection.
Of course these are just my reflections on the first few lines. I am sure that there is much more that could be said about those lines not to mention the lines I didn't say anything about.

-- Contra

No comments: