Friday, August 20, 2010
7 Quick Takes 3
1. I found out about a female, Iranian, Muslim comedienne. Her name is Tissa Hami and she's actually pretty funny.
2. Thinking on the Transfiguration, I realized that both Moses and Elijah parted bodies of water. Moses of course parted the Red Sea and Elijah parted the Jordan River. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but I think its an interesting coincidence.
3. I found out this week that as of February 2010 there are 67 minor basilicas in the United States. # 67 is Sacred Heart Basilica in Atlanta. What are the other basilicas? I know of one in Asheville, NC, but where does one find a list of all 67 American minor basilicas?
4. As has happened to many other fathers before me, I have discovered that people remember my cute and adorable daughter's face and name but not mine. I discovered this after Divine Liturgy last weekend.
5. I've started going to the local Melkite Catholic parish in Augusta. I've noticed that in every picture of a Melkite church behind the altar is an icon painted on the wall with Mary offering her Son, Jesus. I really like the connection drawn there between Mary and the Eucharist.
6. Today is the feast day of St Bernard of Clairveaux, Doctor of the Church, but it is also the feast day for St Christopher. No not the one everyone thinks of who ferried people across the river and carried the Christ child across. This St Christopher was martyred in 852 AD in Cordova, Spain along with St Leovigild. Just as a side note, I can't stand it when people who are about 2,000 years removed try to tell me that the original St Christopher never existed.
7. You can check out all the other saints feast days here.
May God bless all who read my ramblings,