Friday, December 31, 2010

Final 7 Quick Takes of 2010



1. I've really been getting into a show called Naked Archaeologist. The name is because the intent of the show is to break it down for dummies, to strip away all the complications to make it "naked". All of the shows are about various topics from the Holy Land. The only one I have seen that isn't Biblical was about Shimon Bar Kokhba.

2. One episode of the Naked Archaeologist was about the Temple Treasures. He asked at one point if the archaeologist he was interviewing thought that the Ark of the Covenant might be found buried on the Temple Mount. No, was the response, because 2 Maccabees 2:1-7 was very clear that Jeremiah buried it on Mt Nebo, where Moses looked over the Promised Land. So why did the writers of Indiana Jones did so little research that they had it in Egypt?

3.A great song from Matisyahu...



4. “A servant of the Lord is he who in body stands before men, but in mind knocks at Heaven with prayer.”-- St John Climacus

5. Keeping an Eastern theme, here is a quote from my parish's patron saint: “I am writing to all the Churches and I enjoin all, that I am dying willingly for God's sake, if only you do not prevent it. I beg you, do not do me an untimely kindness. Allow me to be eaten by the beasts, which are my way of reaching to God. I am God's wheat, and I am to be ground by the teeth of wild beasts, so that I may become the pure bread of Christ.”--St Ignatios of Antioch

6. So i just learned about St David the Dendrite. Dendrite means someone who lives in a tree. St David the Dendrite spent three years living in an almond tree in Thessalonika.

7. Did anyone else know that Christmas is an official holiday in Iraq? I remember the first year that it was declared a holiday; I was there.

May God bless all who read my ramblings,

Adopt A Catholic Blog

No comments: