Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Saint Ignatius of Loyola

I was reading on Jimmy Akin's site and a post caught my attention.
Today (July 31) is the feast day of Saint Ignatius of Loyola. I only know just a few things about him. He was a soldier. Hoo-ah! He was wounded in battle against the enemies of Spain (the French I think). While laid up from this wound he experienced a profound conversion. He founded the Society of Jesus (Jesuits).
Ignatian spirituality is solid, hardcore stuff, Catholicism at its best. Unfortunately, Jesuits more often than not have a reputation for being just the opposite. I'm sure that's not (entirely) deserved.
Even orders like the Benedictines, who have a good rep, have members with off the wall theology and ideas. For instance, I once prayed the Liturgy of the Hours with a community of Benedictine women. They started the Lord's Prayer: "Our Mother/Our Father who art in heaven..." NO FOOLIN'!
Back to Jimmy's Post...
The post was about today being Saint Ignatius's feast day and the Jesuits have a site where they are gonna have an Internet video series about Ignatian spirituality. The site is www.companionofjesus.com
I look forward to seeing the videos.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

No comments: