Saturday, September 17, 2011

Nave

I found out last night that nave means ship. The nave is the main part of a cruciform (in the shape of a cross) church. The other part of a cruciform church is the transept.
The nave is where the body would go on a cross and the transept is where the arms would have been placed.
I find it interesting that nave means ship, because my favorite Biblical prefiguring of the Church is Peter's barque. I don't know why its my favorite but it has always fascinated me and it would seem that through architecture we are reinforcing the boat as an image of the Church. Jesus at the head of the boat, in the Eucharist with the successors to the apostles.

May God bless all who read my ramblings,

Adopt A Catholic Blog

1 comment:

Barbara Schoeneberger said...

Bingo, Contra. This has been on purpose from the beginning. There's always something interesting and exciting to discover about the Church. It always makes me love Her more.