Friday, July 27, 2012

7 Quick Takes 27JUL2012

  1. My What is Truth/Mirror Universe Pelosi post got a visit yesterday from a House of Representatives IP. I've been wondering ever since who? and why? I included a picture from the post for your viewing pleasure.
  2. A Catholic owned HVAC company is suing the HHS (Newland vs Sebellius) to maintain their first amendment rights to freedom of religion. I hope they win. I was honestly very disappointed with the ruling from the Supreme Court. I find it interesting though that even though the Supreme Court has ruled that businesses are "persons" with first amendment rights to free speech, administration lawyers are claiming that business owner are not permitted to run their businesses according to their beliefs. The choice argued by the administration is comply or close. What's next? Telling Chick-fil-A they have to open up on Sundays?                                      UPDATE: The Newlands now have the first injunction against the HHS mandate. Its only an injunction and it only applies to their company, but its a start!
  3. On a lighter note, I'm excited to see that one of the Dr Who episodes next season will be a Western. Unfortunately it was filmed in Spain. It seems weird to film a Western in Spain, but it worked for the man with no name trilogy.
  4. I can't wait for September! Summers in the Deep South are unbearable and I can only imagine what it was like before air conditioning. I miswired my new thermostat the other week right before the weather climbed into the triple digits. That was the most miserable three days (until I gave up and called a professional to fix it) that I've had in a good while.
  5. This picture is reason # 29 that I like reading Restless Pilgrim. Reason # 28 is that the post is called "Impressing Girls at Bible Study". I usually enjoy the randomness of it all.                                     
  6. Does anyone else use an RSS reader to keep up with 100 or so blogs? Even though I have that many I need to thin out those blogs which have ceased to be or that I don't remember why I subscribed because I just don't read it and/or don't like the material.
  7. Blessed be Jesus Christ true God and true Man!



May God bless all who read my ramblings,

Adopt A Catholic Blog

5 comments:

George @ Convert Journal said...

I follow quite a few blogs myself and simply couldn't do it without RSS. My reader of choice (currently) is Google Reader on the desktop and tablet, set to show only those which have unread content. I check at least twice a day.

When I say "follow", I don't mean to imply read. I look briefly at every post and decide if it interests me at the moment (which is sometimes different day-to-day).

One thing that gets a blog, even a very good blog, off my list is moving to Patheos. Most of those blogs show only 2 or 3 lines of text vs. the full post so that you have to click-through to see the content. This is done for advertising purposes but I don't have the time for this. There are plenty of great blogs that include the full content in RSS.

Athanasis Contra Mundum said...

I do the same thing as far as glancing at it to decide if I want to read and delete if it I don't like the first few sentences. A lot of times if I have a lot of unread on a certain feed I'll just mark all as read.
I don't mind Patheos's feed, it just means they have to work harder to grab my attention.
The main problem I'm having now is information overload. For instance, I have feeds that I can't remembering ever reading and enjoying anything there and I've recently realized that some of these blogs haven't published anything in a year or more.

Annette said...

I think that the "man with no name" films were made in Italy, hence the nickname "spaghetti westerns". They were directed by Sergio Leone.

I too use an RSS feed (I use google reader) but I find that I miss wasting time visiting blogs :) Annette

Athanasis Contra Mundum said...

Sergio Leone is Italian, but the movies were filmed in the Tabernas Desert of Spain.
I don't miss going through the blogs. For me its all about the content of the post.

RAnn said...

I use Google Reader and sometimes I read it and sometimes I don't. I too have a bunch of blogs I don't really like. Often I'll enter giveaways that require me to be a follower, so I punch the button and voila, I'm a follower, even if I don't read it again. Some days I run through my reader, often I don't.